Saturday, June 1, 2013

Life is about the journey

By the way, the Republic of Kenya turns fifty today!

Does East beat West? I am about to find out because I am en-route to Kenya in East Africa. Two years ago, I studied at the University of Ghana in West Africa and am eager to supplement my experience. JFK airport is once again, the great leaping off point. Excitement is certainly the mood, I have never been to Kenya nor would I have guessed it would be my destination even four months ago. I know this is clique but there is no other way to put it. 

Why Kenya and why now? My masters program at the Maxwell School requires students to serve in meaningful internships. I will be interning at Development Initiative Access Link (DIAL) Africa which is a Kenyan-based NGO in the capital Nairobi for the summer. This time, I will be in country for
only two and a half months before resuming the final year of my graduate program.

My journey began in Buffalo on jetBlue and will end two days later on Kenya Airways. The journey is rather neat because I have a nine hour layover in one of my favorite cities, Amsterdam, Netherlands. I am looking forward to a pleasant bike ride through the city and possibly a detour through some of its other famous sites. Late tomorrow night, I board a Kenya Airways 777 for a quick jaunt to Nairobi and into the arms of hopefully friendly customs agents at six in the morning.

I will try to blog frequently about my travels and life as a Nairobi expat. This journey is about to take off. 
Probably one of the last shots of the Pan Am Worldport at JFK which will be torn down to create an airplane parking lot for Delta.

No comments:

Post a Comment